The San Francisco Marathon (TSFM) usually sells out, so get your registration taken care of and keep training. You'll be joined by over 27k local and visiting runners, running courses that feature the city’s iconic landmarks and neighborhoods.
Runners will take part in one of the five TSFM races: full marathon, two half-marathons, a 5K and an ultramarathon, one of the country’s few extended distance races with an urban course. Race day will bring runners from the Bay Area, all 50 states and 79 countries.
In Justin Herman Plaza the race day activities are open to the public on race day from 8am to 12:30pm . The festival will feature a beer garden, enhanced runner recovery areas and food/nutrition and fitness experiences for spectators and runners alike.
Schedule of Events:
Friday, July 27th / Race Expo @ 12noon - 7pm
Saturday, July 28th / Race Expo @ 9am - 5pm
Sunday, July 29th / RACE EVENTS
Ultramarathon Start @ 12midnight
Full Marathon Start @ 5:30am at Mission St. and The Embarcadero
1st Half Marathon Start @ 5:30am at Mission St. and The Embarcadero
2nd Half Marathon Start @ 7:30am at John F Kennedy Dr. and 47th Ave.
5K Start @ 7:45am at Mission St. and The Embarcadero
Finish Line Festival @ 8am to 12:30pm
Beer Garden / Awards Ceremony
2018 Race Day Traffic Advisory
Thank you to the residents of San Francisco for enabling us to stage The Biofreeze San Francisco
Marathon in this amazing city! To help the San Francisco community and our runners and spectators
plan their travel on race day (July 29, 2018), we will keep this page updated with traffic impact
information. We also encourage everyone to come out and cheer on the runners as they achieve an
amazing accomplishment by running one of our full marathon, half marathon, 5K or ultra-distance events.
Impact on San Francisco Neighborhoods and Suggested Detours
Road Closure notice will be posted:
• At major entrances to Golden Gate Park and major roadways one (1) week prior to the race.
• On the day of the event, at entrances and diversion points in the park.
The Embarcadero – 12:01am to 2:45pm
• Northbound Embarcadero/King St. will be closed from 3rd St. to Broadway.
• Southbound Embarcadero will be closed from Broadway to Harrison.
• See the map above for suggested detours.
Fisherman's Wharf - 5am to 7:30am
• On Jefferson Street between Northpoint and Hyde, no vehicles will be allowed.
Golden Gate Bridge Roadway Lanes
• Traffic will remain open in both directions throughout the event.
Golden Gate Bridge Exit and Parking Area
• Will remain open.
• Vista Point exit (northeast side) and the Vista Point parking lot will be closed from midnight to 10am.
Presidio and Golden Gate National Recreation Area - 12midnight to 10am
• From midnight to 10am, there will be no access to the Golden Gate Bridge through the Presidio.
• Lincoln Blvd. and all intersections onto Lincoln Blvd. from the 25th Ave. gate to Lendrum Ct. will be closed from 4:30am to 10am.
• Baker Beach residents may enter and exit the housing areas via the service road from Battery Caulfield. Traffic will be allowed access and egress from Brooks Court and Baker Court via Lincoln Blvd.
• Mason Street and all intersections onto Mason Street will be closed from the Marina Gate to Crissy Field Avenue from 4:30am to 10am.
• Crissy Field Avenue will be closed from 4:30am to 10am.
Richmond District - 6am to 10am
• Eastbound and westbound vehicle traffic should expect delays at 26th Ave. and 27th Ave.
• 26th and 27th Avenues from Fulton Street to Lake Street closed to through traffic. Cross traffic will be allowed intermittently on
California, Clement, Geary, Balboa or Cabrillo. Expect significant delays.
• Residents west of 27th Avenue are encouraged to use the Great Highway.
Sunset and Richmond Districts - 6am to 11:30am
• North and south access through Golden Gate Park should use Great Highway, Kezar, or 19th Avenue/Park Presidio. Expect significant delays.
• In Golden Gate Park, southbound Crossover Dr., JFK Dr. from Great Highway to Kezar, MLK Jr. Way from Lincoln to 25th Ave, Transverse Dr., and Stow Lake Dr. will be closed from 5am to approx. 11:30am.
Upper Haight Street - 6:30am to 11:30am
• North and south access across Upper Haight Street should use Kezar Drive (from or to Lincoln off Oak and Fell). Expect significant delays.
Lower Haight Street - 6:30am to 11:45am
• North and south access across Lower Haight Street should use Steiner or Fillmore. Expect significant delays.
Market Street - 6:30am to 12noon
• Westbound and eastbound travel on, and access to, Market Street at Duboce Ave. and Guerrero Street should expect significant delays.
Mission & Potrero Districts: 15th, 16th, & 17th Streets - 6:45am to 12:30pm
• Northbound and southbound traffic needing to cross over 15th, 16th, and 17th streets should use Highway 280 or Highway 101 whenever possible. Crossovers are also available at some city streets; however, significant delays should be expected: Valencia, South Van Ness, Folsom, Bryant, or Potrero Street.
Third Street Detour - 7am to 12:30pm
• Impacted between 20th and 23rd Streets.
• Southbound traffic should use westbound 20th Street overpass to southbound Pennsylvania Street to eastbound 23rd Street to Third Street.
• Northbound traffic should use westbound 23rd Street to northbound Pennsylvania Street to eastbound 20th Street to Third Street.
South Beach Area - 7am to 12:30pm
• Terry Francois Blvd. will be closed.