JOIN US FOR A SPECIAL DOCENT TOUR to celebrate this amazing exhibit.
"The de Young Museum is re-writing American art history by more fully incorporating African American art into its American Galleries.”
“Those are the words of Timothy Burgard, Curator of American Art at the de Young Museum, site of the exhibition, Revelations: Art from the African American South. It is in museum galleries around the country that the stories, accomplishments, pain and creative talents of Americans from varieties of backgrounds are told. However, only recently did major museums start to recognize a duty to correct the absence of African Americans.
This exhibition depicts the pain of slavery, the struggles of the civil rights movement, the joy of music, the beauty of the earth, and the exhilaration of the accomplishments of today’s heroes. Revelations: Art from the African American South could not have arrived at a more opportune time to invite us to venture to talk about differences, celebrate them and get to know each other better. Society is at a juncture, a place where the world is seeking ways to better understand, educate and change stereotypical images.
Museums are one of the safest places to contemplate, to simmer down and absorb the messages of others. All is revealed before our eyes, and our minds are allowed the time to absorb and to think. These are indeed the perfect places to see the truth of the past and sort out the challenges of the present. It is a powerful and transformative experience to be where so much is revealed, that it enables us to talk about something as explosive as racial issues.
That is why the de Young Museum is so proud and excited to have acquired this historic collection from the Souls Grown Deep Foundation and present it to Bay Area audiences and to the World.” - Belva Davis, Member, San Francisco Chapter of The Links, Inc. and Trustee, Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco.”
A special docent-led tour has been scheduled for members of The Links, Inc. on Saturday, October 28, from 3-5pm at the de Young Museum in San Francisco. A maximum of 20 attendees will be accommodated.
3 pm - Special Links Docent Tour, Wilsey CourtPlan to arrive by 2:45 to secure parking
Tickets are being provided at a special discounted price of $15 for Links members. You can use PayPal to purchase your tickets.
Instructions on how to purchase via PayPal:
1. Login to your existing PayPal account and select Send Money
2. Enter [email protected]
in the To box
3. Enter $15.00 in the Amount box
4. Select I'm Sending Money to family or friends
5. Information will appear listing your payment options and the convenience fee amount if using a credit or debit card
6. Select Continue
7. The next screen will allow you to Review your Payment and Send
8. Under Description our email address will be listed and $15 as the amount and the convenience fee if you are using a credit or debit card
9. Your total charge will be listed as $15.74 if using a credit or debit card
10. You will also see: San Francisco Chapter of the Links, Incorporated will receive: $15.00
11. Your payment method will also be listed showing a total of $15.74 if using a credit or debit card
12. Under Email to recipient you can enter your own description (suggest using Revelations Tour payment)
13. Select Send Money and you are done.
You will receive an email confirmation of your payment from PayPal. Please select Transaction Details and print the details so that you can bring to the tour.