The Youth Arts Summit is an interactive day of art shows, performances, free art activities, and DJs, brought to you by Youth Art Exchange and collaborating organizations from across the city. Doors open at 1PM for multi-media displays and our performance battle, open to all high school students, starts at 3:30PM, where you have the chance to perform on the main stage and win a prize! This event is FREE and open to all ages.
This is an event you don’t want to miss! These are just a few of the exciting things you can do at the Youth Arts Summit:
• Create original beats with SFJAZZ’s digital music lab.
• Get a sneak peak at designs for the Market Street Prototyping Festival from YBCA, which will bring to life public art designs for Market Street; and vote on your favorite ones.
• Stretch your writing, poetry and performance skills in workshops with Hip Hop 4 Change. (This is a great way to warm up for the performance competition).
• Cheer on your favorite young artists taking the stage for our performance competition (or sign up to jump on the stage yourself)!
• Prototype a model of the San Francisco Library’s new Teen Center/Digital Media Learning Lab that includes a Makerspace, Audio/Video space, Performance Area, and Reading Nook.
• Stop in our Art Shop to buy original works from our city’s emerging high school artists.
• Check out artwork and performances by young artists from across the Bay Area and find out how to connect to their amazing youth arts organizations.
The Youth Arts Summit will culminate with a performance competition open to all high school youth and youth groups. Visit our website for more guidelines and info on how to sign up at https://www.youthartexchange.org/sf-youth-arts-summit
Who will you see at the Summit? Here are some of the folks who'll be showing work and offering free arts activities: AcroSports, Balboa High School's CAST Academy, Bay Area Video Coalition, BAYCAT, BLICK Art Materials, Gateway High School, Gray Area, Imagine Bus Project, June Jordan High School, Larkin Street Youth, Leadership High School, ODC Dance Jam, Root Division, RYSE Youth Center, SFJAZZ, SF Mime Troupe, SF Public Library, Today's Future Sound, YBCA Young Artists at Work, Youth Art Exchange, Youth Leadership Institute, Youth Radio, California College of the Arts, and Santa Fe University.
If you can’t make it Saturday, then stop by on Friday night, December 5, for our Wake Up the Walls Happy Hour. In collaboration with SOMArts, this is a chance to get a sneak peak at the Summit and SOMArt’s concurrent exhibit Placed/Displaced. Enjoy wine, food, and interactive activities from Bay Area artists of all ages. This event is free and open to the public.
Youth Art Exchange is a dynamic arts organization with a citywide reach. We invest in multidisciplinary arts and leadership development programs by connecting professional artists to young emerging artists from San Francisco public high schools through free after-school visual, performing, and technical arts programs and paid internships in the arts. Youth Art Exchange sparks a shared creative practice between professional artists and public high school students, furthering youth as leaders, thinkers, and artists in San Francisco.
The Summit is supported by Fan Club Prez sponsor, BLICK Art Materials and Paparazzi sponsor, Lick-Wilmerding High School. In connection with the Summit, BLICK is offering a special in-store discount code: http://www.dickblick.com/stores/coupons/SFYouthArtsSummit
The 4th Annual San Francisco Youth Arts Summit is also supported by the SOMArts Cultural Center’s Affordable Space Program, which provides subsidized, large-scale affordable space and technical assistance to nonprofits. SOMArts receives support from the San Francisco Arts Commission’s Community Arts and Education Program with funding from Grants for the Arts/The Hotel Tax Fund.
The mission of SOMArts is to promote and nurture art on the community level and foster an appreciation of and respect for all cultures. To find out about SOMArts classes, events and exhibitions, please visit https://www.somarts.org
SOMArts is located at 934 Brannan Street in San Francisco. For up-to-date information on the event, check out our summit page at https://www.youthartexchange.org/sf-youth-arts-summit