This Sunday, March 20, from 11am – 4am, the first Sunday Streets of the year will kick off. A city-sponsored block-party, the event closes down a “portion of a neighborhood’s streets to automobile traffic, and opens them to pedestrians, bicyclists, and activities”, in this case the Embarcadero from Fisherman’s Wharf pass AT&T Park to Mission Bay.
The event will take place rain or shine (they are actually still looking for more volunteers – you get a t-shirt and lunch!) and will feature free bike and roller skate rentals, a variety of booths and performances and fun family-oriented activities. And, what’s best, you can enjoy the city streets like you’ve never had before – well, like the other 364 days of the year.
It’s supposed to rain all weekend, but hopefully things will clear up in time for Sunday!
Here’s the 2011 schedule:
Sunday Streets 2011 Season Schedule (subject to change):
* March 20: kick off event along the Embarcadero from Fisherman’s Wharf to Mission Bay
* April 10: Great Highway and Golden Gate Park; ‘Penguins to Penguins’
* May 8: Mission route, including the popular route along 24th and Valencia Streets
* June 12: Bayview route, 3rd Street from Mission Bay, Dogpatch to the Bayview Opera House
* July 10: Great Highway route #2
* August 14: Civic Center/Tenderloin route
* September 11: Western Addition route, including North of Panhandle, Alamo Square and Fillmore and Japantown neighborhoods
* October TBD; Mission route #2
Photo credit: SF Sunday Streets