The Town of Los Altos Hills was incorporated on January 27, 1956. Before then, residential development was constrained by numerous factors, including lack of a dependable water supply. Water from wells and creek beds was safe, but not always adequate. Headwaters for Hale, Adobe, Barron, Matadero, Purissima, and Deer Creeks are generated in local foothills characterized by heavily wooded banks and often-impenetrable areas of poison oak and chaparral. Homes and farms were usually on large acreage. The overall personality of the region was distinctly rural. In 1956, the many advocates for incorporating the City, to be known as "The Town of Los Altos Hills," were singularly dedicated to "preservation of the rural atmosphere of the foothills." Town founders formalized the Town's guiding principles in a document called the "Green Sheets."
While many changes have taken place in the intervening years, most of the pleasant country aspects of the Town remain as new housing is constructed to accommodate the needs and lifestyles of today's residents.
read more show less