WHAT: The Shops at Tanforan encourages the community to give the gift of life this holiday season and participate in the center’s Annual Blood Drive, sponsored by Blood Centers of the Pacific. Blood donors are encouraged to make an appointment at http://www.bloodcenters.org/, and review Blood Donor qualifications prior to making an appointment. The donation process takes approximately one hour, and donors should allow an hour and a half for Double Red Donations. Donors can complete the health questionnaire online prior to arriving to the drive at bloodcenters.org and click the Fast Track link. The questionnaire must be completed the same day as the donation.
To be eligible to donate blood, donors must be:
• In general, good health, free of infection
• At least 16-years-old (minors must receive parental consent to donate.)
• Weigh at least 110 lbs.
Checklist for preparing to donate blood:
• Arrive well-nourished and hydrated to appointment
• Wear comfortable clothing
• Donors should maintain a healthy level of iron in their diet before donating
• Bring a list of medications being taken
• Bring identification (either a donor card, driver's license or two other forms of identification)
• Bring a friend, so both can enjoy the benefits of giving blood
• Relax (blood donation is a simple and very safe procedure so there is nothing to worry about)
Blood Centers of the Pacific (BCP) is a community-based nonprofit organization that provides the link between those who give blood and the patients who depend on this lifesaving gift. It was the first community-sponsored blood bank in the nation, opening its doors in June 1941.
WHEN: Friday, December 29 from 12pm – 4pm
WHERE: The Shops at Tanforan – Blood Mobile will be located outside of the drop off area in front Barnes & Noble