The Pergola and Colonnade was designed by architect Walter Reed in 1913. Located at the end of Lake Merritt's eastern arm, the structure was instituted by Mayor Frank K. Mott, along with other improvements.
In November 1912 Mr. R. T. Stratton wrote a letter informing the Oakland Park directors that his father told of a time when "sloops and freight boats received and delivered cargoes for the early settlers" at the site of the Pergola, and the Spanish called the landing 'embarcadero.' Thus the structure acquired the name 'El Embarcadero' and although it is no longer referred to as such, the cross street was given the name in honor of the earlier title.
read more show less