The Former Alameda Naval Air Station

Where
West Part of Alameda Island, Alameda, CA
Call
-
Tags
City, Park
Claim this listing

About request an edit to this page

Naval Air Station Alameda (NAS Alameda) was a United States Navy Naval Air Station in Alameda, California, on San Francisco Bay.[1] Built on reclaimed land at the west end of Alameda Island, the site was acquired by the USAAC in 1930 but turned over to the Navy in 1936. During World War II, the USS Hornet (CV-8) was loaded with the 16 B-25s that would take part in the Doolittle Raid at NAS Alameda. After the base closed on April 25, 1997, the USS Hornet (CV-12) was given to the former air station to be used as a museum ship. In late July 2006, the City of Alameda announced a deal with Navy that would turn the land over to the city for $108M. The preliminary development concept calls for 1700 housing units to be developed at the Naval Air Station site, now called Alameda Point. In September, 2006, the developer, Alameda Point Community Partners, withdrew from development of Alameda Point. In May 2007 the City selected the SunCal Companies as the Master Developer of Alameda Point, and as of July 2007 the parties are negotiating terms for a development agreement. - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Air_Station_Alameda