|Claim this listing|
The Presidio Yacht Club has a rich and distinguished history in the San Francisco Bay area. The Club's origins belong with the establishment of Fort Baker by the US Army in 1850. Originally named the Lime Point Military Reservation (after Lime Point on the north side of the Golden Gate), the Fort operated as a satellite station of Presidio of San Francisco. Its primary missions were mine laying and hosting strategic battery sites - one of which is still accessible by hiking. Following the War, the batteries and anti-submarine operations lost their tactical value but the marina remained. Servicemen began berthing their private boats in the then empty slips. And with such a large influx of military personnel and watercraft in one of the San Francisco Bay's most beautiful locations, it was only natural that the servicemen created a formal organization.