The arena was originally opened 86 years ago in 1933 as the Men's Gym; it was renamed Harmon Gym in 1959, after Oakland financier A.K.P. Harmon, who donated the funds to build Cal's first indoor athletic facility in 1879. Lou Campanelli tried to have it renamed "Harmon Arena" when he became head coach, but it never really caught on.
The playing surface, after being known as simply "Room 100" since the arena opened, was renamed Pete Newell Court in 1987 in honor of head coach Pete Newell, who led Cal to the national championship in 1959. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haas_Pavilion
read more show less