Built in 1886, the Victorian home at 500 Capp Street was purchased by artist David Ireland in 1975. Upon taking ownership of the house, David began implementing a “maintenance action” plan on the home: removing window moldings, stripping wall coverings, and coating the walls, ceiling and floors with high-gloss polyurethane varnish. The varnish sealed in the cracks and repairs of the home, providing an elaborate visual history of 500 Capp Street. The home continued to evolve during Ireland’s 30 years of living in the home, with the lines of art and life blurred. The resulting house, that is now preserved by the 500 Capp Street Foundation, is considered by many to be the centerpiece of David Ireland’s prolific career.