Blue Dot Organics offers DIY classes focusing on learning how to make your own organic body & face care products!
The following Body & Face Care Classes are offered (as well as a Build-Your-Own Class option):
1. Exfoliate Your Skin (takes about 2 hours) - $65/p
- Learn how to exfoliate your skin gently with organic sugars, salts, clays & herbs.
- Customize & make body scrub (4 fl oz) with the oils, salts, sugars, herbs and essential oils of your choice and facial cleansing grains & mask (4 fl oz) with the clays & herbs of your choice.
- Detailed ingredient charts will be provided so that you can customize each product according to your needs & preferences. Choose from a wide variety of salts, herbs, carrier or natural oils, essential oils, clays & other gentle exfoliators like oatmeal.
- Go home with your 2 creations & a detailed informational handout.
2. All About Lotion (takes about 2.5 hours) - $85/p
- Learn the differences between 3 types of lotion: water-based (traditional & white - 4 fl oz), oil-based (salve or balm - 2 fl oz) & butter-based (body butter - 4 fl oz).
- Detailed ingredient charts will be provided so that you can customize each product according to your needs & preferences. Choose from a wide variety of organic carrier or natural oils, butters, essential oils & other beneficial ingredients for skin like aloe vera gel.
- Go home with a detailed informational handout, along with your 3 creations so that you can compare & contrast the lotion types to discover your favorite.
3. Care for Your Face (takes about 3 hours) - $90/p
- Learn how to make your own 3-step skin care regimen: face wash (4 fl oz), toner (2 fl oz) & lotion (4 fl oz).
- Detailed ingredient charts will be provided so that you can customize each product according to your needs & preferences. Choose from a wide variety of organic herbs, carrier or natural oils, essential oils & other beneficial ingredients for skin like aloe vera gel.
- Go home with your 3 creations & a detailed informational handout.
4. Natural Perfume & Cologne (takes about 2.5 hours) - $90/p
- Go natural! Don’t buy synthetic fragrances! Natural perfume is made with vodka, essential oils and/or jojoba oil, and without the hormone-disrupting synthetic chemicals of commercial perfumes**. We will discuss the differences between the types of natural fragrances (eau de cologne, eau de parfum & perfume) and you will be able to experiment with various essential oil combinations (distinguishing between base, middle & top notes) in order to customize & make your own natural liquid perfume or cologne. Go home with 2 of your favorite blends (4 fl oz total).
** Alcohol allows the fragrance to emanate, so that those around you can actually smell it. 100 proof vodka is best to fully dissolve the essential oils and doesn’t have a strong smell that overpowers the essential oils; it can actually enhance or soften the fragrance of the perfume. If stored in a cool, dark place, then most alcohol-based blends will have an indefinite shelf life.
** “Top-selling fragrance products used by both women and men contain at least a dozen "secret" chemicals not listed on labels, finds a new analysis by the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics, a national coalition of health and environmental groups....Tests commissioned for the report, "Not So Sexy - The Health Risks of Secret Chemicals in Fragrance," found chemicals that can trigger allergic reactions or disrupt hormones. Hormone-disrupting chemicals are linked to a range of health effects including sperm damage, thyroid disruption and cancer.” http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/may2010/2010-05-13-01.html
* Build-Your-Own Classes are also available for those who want to make even more or different products & choose when they have their private class.
* Go to www.bluedotorganics.com for more information, the class calendar & class reviews!
* If you don't find a date & time that work for you, just call or email Lindsay at 617-272-5842 & [email protected]
to arrange your class at no extra cost!
Why take a class at BDO:
* 100% hands-on
* Small class sizes: 4-person maximum per class
* Organic & sustainable: the ingredients are certified organic, ethically wild-harvested, Kosher, gluten-free, vegan and/or untreated
* Customizable: the benefits of the various ingredients (e.g. oils, butters, essential oils, herbs, clays) are discussed so you can customize your creations based on your needs & preferences
* Choice: choose from a wide variety of ingredients for customized products & choose when you have your class
* Informational: go home with a detailed handout with recipes, ingredient information, instructions & suppliers
* Use of all preparation and safety materials - You do not need to bring anything! Just have fun!
Health. Community. Earth.
By taking this class, you are supporting:
* your Health by using a toxin-free product, made with organic ingredients and using safe preparation materials
* the Community because 10% of profits go to charity
* the Earth because Blue Dot Organics has a zero-landfill policy, uses as little plastic as possible, and most suppliers are on the west-coast
* a small business that puts ethics above profits