Join us on Sunday November 11, 2018 as we celebrate our 75th Anniversary of Commissioning, 20th Anniversary of becoming a museum, and Veteran's Day.
This year marks the 100th Anniversary of Armistice Day.
10:00AM - 1:30PM - Participating organizations and activities include but are not limited to:
• Grand Opening of 3 Hornet Anniversary Exhibitions
• American Legion Poppy Program
• Navy Knot Tying with Docent Jim "Doc" Cejka
• Hands On "White Glove" Table with the Museum & Exhibitions Department
• Letter Writing to a Veteran, Sponsored by LovePop
• SF Armistice Centennial Commemoration Committee
• World War One Historical Association
• National Aircraft Carrier Month Information and Hands On
• The Walking Ghosts of Black History: African-American Military History, Education, and Culture Re-Enactment Group
• Fayeth Gardens
• Back 2 Nature
11:00AM - 12:00PM - Veterans Day Ceremony, 100th Anniversary of Armistice Day
• Welcome by Bill Fee, USS Hornet Crew Member '68
• Color Guard by BSA Troop 154, Oakley
• National Anthem and Armed Forces Medley by the Hornet Band
• Salute to the Veterans with us Today
• In Flanders Field: Lewis Ross
• Remembrance and Appreciation by Chaplain Wallace Whatley
• Retire the Colors by BSA Troop 154, Oakley
12:30PM - 1:30PM Special Presentation by Lynn Vincent (#1 New York Times bestselling author) and Sara Vladic (National Geographic Historian), authors of Indianapolis: The True Story of the Worst Sea Disaster in U.S. Naval History and the Fifty-Year Fight to Exonerate an Innocent Man which debuted in July at #5 on New York Times Best Seller List.
Joining them will be Harold Bray Sr., survivor of the USS Indianapolis, Chairman of the Survivors Organization, and a retired Benicia Police Officer.
Harold was 17 years old when he went aboard Indianapolis, and he turned 18 in May of 1945, shortly after he went aboard. He was a Seaman First Class, having just completed boot camp at Great Lakes Michigan that winter. Harold went on to serve until he was honorably discharged in 1946.
Category: Community | Local / Community | Holidays.
Sub-Categories: Exhibitions | Lifestyle, Arts, Leisure | Travel and Tourism.
Adult (Add $2.03 FEE): USD 20.00,
Seniors (65+) (Add $1.78 FEE): USD 15.00,
Youth (7-17, Add $1.53 FEE) (6 and Under Free): USD 10.00.