Chinese Whispers + San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park celebrate Lunar New Year!
The lunar new year of the Black Water Snake begins on February 10th. The snake symbolizes renewal and transformation. Join us on historic sailing ship Balclutha to celebrate the spirit of transformation;—
· Hear SF poet Genny Lim read poems of transformation.
· Transform a secret message in a game of ‘Chinese whispers’.
· Listen to stories passed down through generations about the early Chinese pioneers in the Sierra and the Bay who transformed their immigrant experiences and helped build America.
· Learn about the Chinese cannery workers on ships such as Balclutha from SFMNHP Exhibits Curator Richard Everett, as seen through the eyes of journalist Max Stern who shipped out “incognito” with the cannery hands.
· Take a self-guided tour of the ship’s “Chinatown”.
Space is limited – COME EARLY!
Park Historic Vessels Admission: $5
Purchase ticket from Park ticket booth on Pier prior to boarding.
Space is limited so admission is on a first come first served basis.
The ticket is good for 7 days. Entrance to the ships is free for supervised children under 16.
The ticket booth is located on the pier. For more information, call the visitor center at 415-447-5000.
Join our event on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/events/116461461865182/
For more info call 415.648.1302, send us an email: [email protected]
or download our postcard: http://reneyung.com/ftp/CW_CNY13_Postcard.pdf