|Claim this listing|
The tabla is a widely popular Indian percussion instrument used in the classical, popular and religious music of the Indian subcontinent. The instrument consists of a pair of hand drums of contrasting sizes and timbres.The term tabla is derived from an Arabic word which means "drum".
At TablaNiketan we teach Tabla in the traditional style:
* Classes are taught in a friendly environment, giving the student a comfortable learning atmosphere.Teacher to student lineage is an integral part of traditional study methods.
* Classes introduce and develop understanding in tabla stroke technique, recitation (the fundamental spoken tradition that goes hand in hand with the playing technique) and rhythmic theory. Each class focuses on underlying techniques/mechanics for mastering either Tabla Taala (rhythmic cycles), phrases, or compositions with the use of Padhant, concentration on Laya (tempo), Nikas (clarity of sounds), and focus on maintaining a required posture.
* Class levels, which are available from introductory to professional levels, allow for the student interested in studying tabla as a means of relaxation, or those who wish to become professional musicians.* Opportunity to attend various workshops conducted by the Great Tabla Guru's such as Pt. Arvind Mulgaonkar Ji, Pt. Suresh Talwalkar Ji and many more.
* Opportunities to perform in various local music competitions such as the Maharashtra Mandal Chaitradhun Music Competition, and the SatyaDevi Memorial Trust Music Contest, and the Annual Madhav Tare Memorial Concert.* Group lessons and one-on-one lessons available in (Cupertino) and East Bay (Pleasanton).
* Virtual classes available via video-conferencing. Please Contact Us for more information about this.
* Students grouped by age and skill level
* Classes will be once a week for ONE HOUR.
*Nehra (Lehra), used as learning aid