|Claim this listing|
The San Leandro Historical Railway Society (SLHRS) is housed in the San Leandro depot which was built in 1898 by the Southern Pacific Railroad to replace the original depot built by the Central Pacific Railroad in 1865. The depot was officially opened in June of 1898. It was instrumental in the agricultural and industrial growth of San Leandro and the surrounding area. Examples of this are the San Leandro Plow Company and the Daniel Best Manufacturing Company which evolved into the Caterpillar Tractor Company and the cherry orchards which are celebrated by San Leandro’s Cherry Festival for over 100 years in June.