|Related Articles: Music, All|
Outside Lands Festival
Lineup Clues You Can Use
by Gabe Meline on May 24, 2010
The countdown to the 2010 Outside Lands festival officially started earlier this month when Ranger Dave, the festival’s official mascot, emerged from hibernation and started dropping hints about the origin of bands on this year’s bill and other clues.
With a new slim look — the festival only runs two days this year, August 14th and 15th — the official lineup is scheduled to be revealed June 1st. We filled in most of the blanks, but a few holes remain. Send your ideas to editorial @ sfstation dot com.
1. Louisville, KY: “Ranger Dave’s winter hibernation is now over.”
Obviously My Morning Jacket, who were inactive all this past winter. Plus, not too many other festival-type bands from Louisville.
2. Fort Collins, CO: “Ranger Dave loves feasting on big city burritos in the town where the rams roam.”
Big City Burritos and the CSU Rams are in Fort Collins, and so is Pretty Lights.
3. Woodstock, NY: “Ranger Dave loves hanging in Woodstock, NY around midnight.”
It’s gotta be Levon Helm. He holds infamous “Midnight Rambles” at his studio in Woodstock, and his tour itinerary shows him playing in L.A. on Aug. 15.
4. Los Angeles, CA: “Ranger Dave used to be a robot.”
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. Alex Ebert used to sing for Ima Robot.
5. Fullerton, CA: “Ranger Dave loves his Southern California punk rock from Fullerton.”
You can’t say Fullerton punk rock without saying Social Distortion.
6. Montreal, Canada: “Ranger Dave is part Arab, part Jewish and a little French Canadian.”
Chromeo, without a doubt.
7. San Francisco, CA: “Ranger Dave worships this infamous Black Rock DJ.”
Bassnectar, who’s a staple at Burning Man in the Black Rock desert.
8. New Orleans, LA: “Ranger Dave digs brass bands from Treme.”
The television show or the actual neighborhood? Either way, it’s probably the Dirty Dozen Brass Band, since their tour itinerary puts them in Los Angeles on Aug. 18.
9. Versailles, France: “Ranger Dave is wondering what Glendale, Mesa, Tempe and Scottsdale have in common.”
Phoenix, which will make lots of people stoked.
10. Santa Cruz, CA: “Ranger Dave likes his grass from Santa Cruz via Vermont.”
Definitely the Devil Makes Three, a bluegrass trio from SC by way of Vermont.
11. Memphis, TN: “Ranger Dave is the reverend of love with single stem roses for the ladies.”
Easy — that’s Al Green.
12. Newmarket, Ontario: “Ranger Dave is in a Japanese fraternal order with Steve Guttenberg.”
That’s gotta be Tokyo Police Club. Steve Guttenberg starred in the Police Academy movies.
13. Niafunke, Mali: “Ranger Dave has to travel to Mali to find the blues.”
This could be any number of people, but it’s Vieux Farka Toure, Ali Farka Toure’s son, who lists the Outside Lands date on his website.
14. Warri, Nigeria: “Ranger Dave will then backpack to Nigeria on his way to Germany to cleanse his soul.”
Most likely Nneka, from Warri, whose mother is German.
15. Melbourne, Australia: “Ranger Dave raises dionaea muscipula with bad attitudes.”
That’s gotta be the Temper Trap.
Also, in early March, Kings of Leon sent out tour dates to fans that included Outside Lands. Whoops! So Kings of Leon is probably a safe bet — they have the date open on their tour itinerary. Weirdly, they’re going to be in San Diego, Irvine and Los Angeles in July, but they conspicuously aren’t playing Northern California. Most likely because Outside Lands has them for August.
16. Los Angeles, CA: “Ranger Dave is getting frisky. He’s scared of the ghosts on the roof.”
There’s five zillion bands in L.A. and this clue is so vague, I can’t wager a guess.
17. New York City: “Ranger Dave has smuggled Ukrainian books through Staten Island.”
If this is not Gogol Bordello I will eat my hat.
18. New Orleans, LA: “Ranger Dave is floating on the other sea.”
Again, large field, bad aim. Galactic? Allen Toussaint? Zzzzzzz.
19. “Ranger Dave is a fan of this French impressionist painter.”
20. “Ranger Dave is a friend of felines big and small.”
21. “Simon says Ranger Dave is cruising on the Pacific Coast Highway in West LA County.”
Hmm.. “Pacific Coast Highway” is the current single by Hole.
Visit http://www.sfoutsidelands.com for more information.
by Gabe Meline on May 24, 2010