DJ Tomas (Umoja Soundsystem/Voltage Music) has DJ’ed on radio and in clubs for over 20 years; he’s also played drums in alternative rock bands, written for Urb and XLR8R magazine, and hosted radio shows since the late-80s. The Bay Area native started out as a radio DJ in high school and later at college station KXLU in LA. He began spinning clubs in 1990 and co-founded the Umoja Soundsystem, a six-person multicultural, multi-genre music crew. Umoja Hi-Fi is an eclectic group known for reggae, jazz, hip-hop, soul, electronic, house, broken beat, Latin and Afrobeat – a unity of culture through music. On the production side, DJ Tomas produced tracks as Double Identity for his own Voltage Music label, remixed Montreal artist Poirier for Ninja Tune, released music on Ubiquity, Bastard Jazz and other labels. He has four nujazz/broken beat-style singles out as Double Identity, and tracks floating around the internet under his dub/dubstep alter ego Dub I.D.
Contact: voltagemusic AT gmail Dot com
• Broadcasted “Reggae Music Forward,” a reggae/dancehall show on KXLU 88.9FM (Loyola Marymount University) in Los Angeles from 1987-1994.
• 1989: DJed at legendary L.A. underground reggae/hip-hop spots Le Hot Sol Lounge, Peace Posse and Fortune Cookie and Brass.
• 1992-Founded Umoja Jazz N’ Ragga Lounge club night w/DJ Daz, running Monday nights for two years. Led to the formation of the Umoja Soundsystem with DJ’s Culture D, Daz and Jun.
• 1994: DJ residency at Bokaos international restaurant. Founded the club B-Side with DJ Sean Perry, featuring Latin jazz, hip hop and abstract beat DJs and live music.
•1994: Founded the club Goa Dub with DJ Jun, a free weekly Thursday all-ages, after-hours ambient/headz/drum&bass lounge at Nova Express café.
• 1995: Profiled in Rolling Stone and Option magazine. Relocates back to SF.
• 1996: Starts weekly downtempo/drum & bass club Hedquarters and does guest slots at The Top, Cosmo Bar, Cat’s Club and Nickies BBQ.
• Compiles Dubmission Vol.’s 1 & 2 for Quango records.
• 1997: DJ residency at Solid. Profiled in Mixmag US. Shares bills with Rockers Hi-Fi, Ben Watt, Lionrock and Morecheeba.
• 1998: Forms production/remix team Live & Direkt with Andrew Smith, releases tracks on Ubiquity’s No Categories compilation and Sunburn’s Wish FM 98.1 comp. DJ residency at Static experimental techno night. Opening DJ for David Bowie SF shows at the Warfield.
• 1999: Joins XLR8R Magazine as Managing Editor. DH resident at Justice League. Opening slots for Pizzicato 5 and Spring Heel Jack.
• 2000: DJ residencies at Mosaic (at Joypad) Phusion (monthly at 26MIX), Global Warming (monthly at Club 6), Sushi Groove South. One-offs at the Top, 111 Minna, Justice League, Bulletproof boat parties etc.
•2001-present, cohost of weekly radio broadcast Friday Night Session (Fridays 10pm-12) with Andrew Jervis (Ubiquity), gigs in SF and LA, including Punky Reggae Party and Dub Club (LA), Afrofunke (LA), Dub Mission (SF), Crucial (SF) and to name a few.