Gold Mirror Italian Restaurant

Where
800 Taraval St, San Francisco , CA
Call
(415) 564-0401
Tags
Italian Restaurants
Hours
Mon-Fri (11am-10pm)
Sat (5pm-10pm)
Sun (4pm-10pm)
Claim this listing

About request an edit to this page

The Gold Mirror Restaurant has been the meeting place for friends and families to indulge in a cocktail at the bar, a savory Italian dinner and the best homemade Tiramisu in town. Patrons come from all over the Bay Area to partake in the elegant atmosphere and Italian cuisine prepared by master chef and owner Giuseppe Di Grande.
     Established in the early 1940’s, the original Gold Mirror was a cocktail lounge located on Fillmore Street, famous for Jazz Clubs and New Orleans style ”Juke Joints”.  A walk down Fillmore Street in the 1940’s attracted friends and family into a world of jazz, song and dance--- a time out from busy days in metropolitan San Francisco.  In the 1950’s the Gold Mirror moved from Fillmore Street to the current location at 18th Avenue and Taraval Street.  The original sign, doors and decorative bar mirrors were relocated to the new location, which captured some of the Art Deco designs of the era. 
     In 1969, Chef Giuseppe Di Grande purchased the Gold Mirror and turned it into one of the finest Italian dining establishments in San Francisco.  Today, Chef Giuseppe Di Grande and sons, Domenico and Roberto, work together as a team in the kitchen preparing traditional cuisines made with high quality ingredients and providing excellent service.  When dining at the restaurant, one can enjoy the ambiance created by this family owned restaurant with the backdrop of a Medieval Castle, romantic Italian music and a candle lit dinner---a memorable family experience.
     On April 19, 2004 the restaurant was forced to close its doors when a runaway delivery truck struck the front entrance.  While the restaurant was under re-construction, decorative paintings behind the bar mirrors, reminiscent of the 1940’s, were uncovered to reveal how the Gold Mirror was originally named.  The ornate paintings of two women, one on each side of the bar, elegantly sat gazing into a gold mirror.  The women were nicknamed “Goldie” for their golden blond hair and the gold mirrors they held became the name of the restaurant.  For years the paintings of the women were covered and the Gold Mirror’s name was preserved by Giuseppe Di Grande with a large ornate mirror hanging in the main dining room.  One of the Gold Mirror paintings has been preserved and is now on display at the restaurant.
     The Gold Mirror Restaurant is a place to take a time out from the busyness of everyday life and enter into a world that reflects San Franciscan tradition and Italian elegance---a place to enjoy with family and friends

Comments