This is an 8-week workshop focusing on the software REASON and ABLETON LIVE. The $64/$80 goes towards 8 weeks of instruction and group play.
Due to the busy schedules of the participants, it would be greatly appreciated if you filled out the form below so that I can get together the most accommodating schedule for all of you. THERE ARE NO SET DAYS OR TIMES YET but if you fill out the form we can get together a set schedule as soon as possible.
$8 per class — $64 (ages 18 and under)
$10 per class — $80 (ages 19 and up)
BeatShop is a first-of-its-kind affordable electronic music program for aspiring musicians/DJs in the Boston/San Francisco area who want to explore technology and music through the use of our brand new lab facility and studio.
This is one of the only cheap and affordable electronic/DJ music workshops in San Francisco. Beatshop is sponsored by Propellerheads Software which helps to keep the costs low.
As Berklee College of Music grads, we are basically giving you all of the same information with the same gear and technology that we received as undergrads of the Electronic Production and Design major.
What you can expect to cover in the 8-week session:
- Improvising and recording ideas; building rhythm, bass, harmony and melody tracks
- Programming patterns and relating these to musical bars and beats
- Exploring sounds and textures, using a range of supplied sounds
- Creating form and structure
- "Musical" editing to create contrast and variation
- Creative work with loops
- Using effects for composing and production
- Shaping sound using the controls on realistic synths, samplers and other devices
- An introduction to mixing - balance, EQ, panning
- Automating mixer and device parameters for additional production ideas
- Using technology to develop musical concepts and ideas
- Applying techniques in a creative context through project work
- Compiling a CD portfolio of coursework.
There will also be events, activities, field trips and special guests.
During the final weeks we will design and master our own CDs, create a free Beatshop Mixtape for digital distribution via the web and study different internet marketing techniques.