Yigit Pura’s Tout Sweet Patisserie is opening on Saturday, September 8 inside Macy’s Union Square. Find out what the Top Chef: Just Desserts winner is most excited about with his latest venture, plus his recommendation on the best place to people-watch.
1. What are you most looking forward to with Tout Sweet Patisserie?
Tout Sweet Patisserie is modeled from a variety of inspirations, from the many great patisseries I’ve been tickled sweet around the world – to the book, The Little Prince. I wanted the food to be sophisticated, but still fun, with California sensibilities. I’m really looking forward to sharing my creations with the residents and visitors of San Francisco!
2. If you could only eat one dessert item for the rest of your life, what would it be?
My favorite dessert of all-time comes from my homeland of Turkey. It’s called Tavuk göğsü and is basically a dessert pudding made with chicken and milk. Add a little cinnamon on top and it’s perfection! A great chocolate-layered cake comes in at a close second!
3. For someone who spends all day surrounded by delicious desserts, you are in excellent shape. What’s the secret?
When you are starting a new company, you basically can forget about eating for 8-12 months. <Laughs> In all seriousness, San Francisco is full of beautiful places for outdoor exercise. Whether it’s running on the Marina Green on a sunny day or a bike ride over the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito, any chance I have to get outside and explore the Bay Area (and get exercise at the same time), I do it.
4. Let’s say Bravo calls you to be on another TV show (not a version of Top Chef), which show do you secretly hope they call you for and why?
Bravo is like family, but if I had to pick one, Tabatha [of Tabatha’s Salon Takeover] would be like a sister. I want to go in with her and revamp a pastry shop that is desperately lacking love.
5. What is your favorite super-touristy thing to do in San Francisco?
I love people-watching in Union Square. It is the quintessential location to see the diversity of people who live [in] and visit this great city. It’s always amazing to me to see how people interact with each other.
Image courtesy of Frankeny Images