Muffins are one of the underrated joys of breakfast, and combining sweet summer peaches with nutritious bran, whole wheat flour and plain yogurt is a great way to start off your day–all for under 100 calories.
Through trial and error and mixing and matching various recipes, I found an excellent combination for moist peach bran muffins that have just the right amount of sweetness but still pack a healthy punch. Each muffin comes out to about 95 calories (I used the SparkPeople recipe calculator), so they’re also a great mid-day snack. I used fresh peaches but frozen are fine, and swapping fruit is a-ok.
Peach Bran Muffins
- 1 1/4 C whole wheat flour
- 3/4 C oat bran (or crushed bran cereal)
- 1/6 C sugar
- 1 t baking soda
- 2 t baking powder
- 1 C fat free plain yogurt
- 1/4 C unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 C non fat milk
- 1 egg
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 2 peaches
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a 12-cup muffin pan with liners.
- Combine flour, bran, sugar, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add in yogurt, milk, applesauce, egg and vanilla extract; still until moist.
- Spoon mixture into muffin pan, filling about 3/4 of the way.
- Dice peaches and add to muffin mixture. (You can add fruit before dividing mixture into cups, but I prefer adding on top.)
- Bake for 18 minutes.
Photo taken by Emilia Varshavsky