Tomorrow the Palace of Fine Arts reopens after a $21.2 million restoration. SF’s pretty pink lady will now be bright and shiny and ready for the masses to enjoy. The PFA was built in 1915 for the Panama-Pacific Exposition as a temporary structure meant to be dismantled after the fair ended. However, years later, in the immortal words of Sir Elton John – it’s still standing.
According to The Chronicle, “The dome has been reinforced against earthquakes. The fanciful statues of maidens in filmy gowns, and the angels, lions and griffins that decorate the palace have been anchored to the building. There is new landscaping, a new entrance on Bay and Lyon streets, new paths for strolling, new benches for resting, even new garbage cans.”
For more, go here.
Photo credit: Jon Sullivan/Wikimedia Commons